Recorded January 22nd, 2017
The last week has seen, among other things, massive protests, a ban on Muslims coming into the country, and what looks an awful lot like a purge in the State Department. We're only about 10 days into the Trump presidency, but much like the rest of the country, our heads at MuniciPALs are spinning.
That's why we sat down to discuss one of President Trump's biggest promises - the mass deportation of illegal immigrants. How would it work? Is there precedent for it? How does the US deport people now? What does it mean for you at the local level? Answers to all these questions and more this episode of MuniciPALs.
- The Postville Raid
- What is the federal agency ICE?
- What are Sanctuary Cities?
- How minor infractions can get immigrants deported
- Mayor DeBlasio tries to destroy data to protect the undocumented
- Texas Governor Abbot faces off with county Sheriffs of Austin, Dallas, and even State Universities, threatening to pull funding over sanctuary moves.
- A (much clearer) explanation of the difference between Returns & Removals
Outro Music: Mademoiselle by Jacob Sigman - Born and raised in the rust belt, Singer/Songwriter/Multi-Instrumentalist Jacob Sigman combines influences of Motown, Soul, and Contemporary Pop music to create something both new and familiar.